EXCLUSIVE - Rafael Nadal showed us his future school tennis!
The world number seven tennis player, Rafael Nadal, devotes much of his time to a project dear to his heart: to create a tennis school. The complex which will be launched in 2016 will extend over several thousand square meters and will have over 20 courts, all available to young hopefuls. Exclusively, a TF1 team was able to follow the world star at the site.
Spain's tennis player Rafael Nadal gestures before the EuroBasket 2015 final game between Spain and Lithuania at the Pierre Mauroy stadium in Villeneuve d'Ascq, near Lille, France, September 20, 2015.
Articles w/quotes & interview
Nadal Backing Spain's "Unforgettable Generation"
"I have been watching almost every game, especially the Spanish ones,"
"I have a great relationship with Pau and other players too, with Rudy [Fernandez], with Sergi [Sergio Rodriguez].
"They are a great group of people that have had an amazing 10 years of history in this sport - an unforgettable generation for our country.
"I have spoken to Pau a few times. He's happy, he's playing an amazing tournament, one of the best tournaments of his career without any doubt.
"The match he played against France was just unreal."
"For me it's a privilege to be here supporting my team and they are having an amazing tournament so I wish them all the best for the final."
"I have been watching almost every game, especially the Spanish ones"
"I never do predictions, but I just hope for victory,"
Interview: Rafael Nadal: "Proud of our team"
You must be necessarily happy that Spain is in the final of EuroBasket2015?
Of course ! I have many friends in the team, representing our country today. I'm really proud of our team. They competed formidably. I saw most of the games and I'm really happy that we are in the final because it means that we are qualified for the Olympics. That's a lot. I just hope that day will be another great day for Spanish sport!
What do you think of Lille Stadium?
The stadium is just amazing! It is something really very special. The area reserved for basketball games is beautiful. I saw a lot of the football stadium and it is truly amazing.
You are big fan of the Spanish national team?
I am a sportsman but I'm also a big fan of sport! I love sports, all sports. I am a great supporter of all my sporting friends. I am a patriot!
Nadal-Torpegaard last points and interview Spain vs Denmark Davis Cup 2015
via Tennis TourTalk:
Opening ceremony Davis Cup Group I Play offs Denmark vs Spain
Torpegaard vs Nadal DEN vs ESP Davis Cup 2015
Highlights Rafael Nadal vs Mikael Torpegaard
Practice & English Interview
Nadals første slag i Danmark
Vi har været ude og kigge på giraffer her til aften. En af de største stjerner i international sport, den 14-dobbelte Grand Slam-vinder Rafael Nadal, er i Odense, hvor han sammen med resten af Spaniens Davis Cup-hold skal spille landskamp mod Danmark i weekenden. Se her hans første slag på dansk grund og hold øje i morgen tidlig, hvor vi også har talt lidt med verdensstjernen.Posted by On-Sport on Monday, September 14, 2015
Nadal med respekt for udebanen
Den 14-dobbelte Grand Slam-vinder Rafael Nadal havde både tid til autografer til de fremmødte tennisfans og et interview med On-Sport, da han mandag aften trænede i Odense forud for weekendens Davis Cup-opgør mod Danmark. Den spanske verdensstjerne har følgeskab af topnavnene David Ferrer, Fernando Verdasco og Roberto Bautista Agut, så der vente de danske drenge en mere end gevaldig opgave i weekenden.Posted by On-Sport on Monday, September 14, 2015
Presser after R1
Twenty questions (rapid-fire style) with Tommy Hilfiger and Rafael Nadal, who talk everything from career highs and regrets (or the absence of) to good sportsmanship and classic style
what did you want to be when you grew up?
Tommy Hilfiger: When I was a teenager, I fell in love with the phenomenon of rock ‘n’ roll music, but I couldn’t play an instrument! I decided I could still look like a rock star, which inspired me to start designing clothes.
Rafael Nadal: Since I was a kid, I’ve wanted to do sports for a living. In the beginning, I played a lot of soccer, but in the end I chose tennis. I love sports in general … But tennis is my passion.
- your work ethic …
- TH: Tireless.
- RN: Discipline, hard work, respect.
- career highs …
- TH: Celebrating the brand’s 30th anniversary this year with special events all over the world.
- RN: Roland-Garros (the French Open), my first Wimbledon, the U.S. Open to close the Grand Slam victory, the Australian Open, the Davis Cup win …
- On surmounting challenges …
- RN: I think that to come back after an injury to the highest level of competition, that has been my greatest challenge.
- TH: Consumers around the world always want something unexpected and exciting, and that’s what drives me. I love the challenge of reinterpreting my designs in new ways each season to keep the “prep look” modern and fresh.
- any regrets?
- TH: I try not to have regrets and to learn from every experience.
- RN: I have always tried to avoid regrets. Could I have done differently some things in my career? Maybe. But that, I can’t change, so I don’t even think about it.
- On the pursuit of excellence …
- RN: Victory is about recognizing all the work that went into achieving your dream. Winning a trophy is always nice, but my personal satisfaction comes from reflecting on the passion, motivation, and determination that went into getting me there.
- TH: I’m passionate about our products, and I love meeting and hearing from customers around the world. They really push me to continue to innovate.
- On personal style …
- TH: My rule of thumb is to strike a balance by sticking to the classics and playing with color, texture, and print to give them a modern update. On any given day, I keep it simple with jeans or chinos and a comfortable dress shirt.
- RN: Off the court, I tend to stick to the classics, but I like to have fun with color and accessories. I’m from Spain, so colors are important for me.
- what is the key to success?
- TH: A strong work ethic.
- RN: There are many elements, but I believe the keys are hard work, passion for what you do, talent, and discipline.
- what do you wear for a night out?
- RN: A Tommy Hilfiger Tailored suit, of course.
- TH: A classic, navy blue blazer is my staple. It’s a look that can take you from office meetings to dinner out with friends or family.
- this one’s for the fans; boxers or briefs?
- TH: I will leave that one to Rafa. <laughs>
- RN: Off the court, I wear Tommy Hilfiger trunks.
- Where is your happy place?
- TH: Anywhere is happy with family.
- RN: Mallorca, back at home, with family and friends. That’s when I am not competing.
- your defining quality is …
- TH: Passion.
- RN: Determination.
- your inspiration is …
- RN: I’m inspired, always, by my family—my parents, my sister, my girlfriend—and Mallorca.
- TH: My wife, Dee, is my muse and, along with my children, my greatest love. I’ve always admired her amazing taste and style. Since I founded Tommy Hilfiger in 1985, my inspiration has always remained rooted in classic American style.
- On being a good sport …
- RN: I consider myself to be respectful, and I believe this is a main value for sports. Good sportsmanship goes beyond the game; it starts with respect, and it’s something I aim to instill with the tennis academy I am building in Mallorca, which will open in May 2016.
- TH: Good sportsmanship means treating others with respect. I consider myself a pretty good sport, too.
- What talent would you most like to have?
- RN: To run faster.
- TH: Musical talent, or artistic so I could follow my passion for contemporary art.
- your alternate-universe profession is …
- TH: A movie director.
- RN: A soccer player.
- words you live by …
- TH: Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”
- RN: Live for what you are and what you do.
- On giving advice …
- RN: Always stay focused.
- TH: The possibilities are endless, so never be discouraged by a setback, no matter how big.
- And receiving it …
- TH: The best advice I was ever given was, “Stay true to yourself.”
- RN: “Keep your ambitions high.”
- What’s your motto?
- TH: Never give up.
- RN: Always give and try your best.
all photos via facebook